Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dinner for One

I spend most of my days alone, even on the weekends. J has obligations that take up the entire business day and sometimes 12 hour days on the weekend. I am a person who enjoys my own space, but I must admit, it is even a bit much for me. For my entire adult life (up to age 23, I know it’s not much…) I have been busy. Not just busy- exceedingly busy. For most of my college career I’ve worked three jobs. Three jobs and two majors. And I’ve always had dinner dates, movies to go to, and errands to run with friends. And now going to Target is a make-up and hair-do worthy event. The only person I really talk to is J, seeing as a lot of the cashiers prefer to ignore your existence as they hate their jobs. So 90% of my time, my voice is taking a rest. And even when J is here, he is doing homework, so it takes more of a rest.

I’ve chatted with a few friends and family members on the phone, but honestly, there has been nothing to report. Every day is pretty much the same, unless I go to Winn-Dixie or Target. (Whoo-hoo, let me grab my mascara!) Yesterday I had painstakingly measured olive oil, lemon juice, minced fresh garlic, and chopped fresh herbs for a marinade. I was going to try Ina Garten’s Herb Marinated Pork Tenderloin. J then informed me that he would be gone from 6:30 am today until after 11:00 pm. Ugh. My pork tenderloin was marinating for nothing! (Side note- this blog has been about food a lot lately, but cooking is, like, the biggest event in my day, so when I get a job you will hear about more than my kitchen…)

I was in rare form this morning. Very grouchy. Thank goodness my voice is taking a rest because if anyone was around they probably would have heard too much of it. I opened my e-mail to receive my first rejection for a job as a Temporary Front Desk Assistant. Double ugh. I consoled myself by watching stupid programming on MTV (ever seen Viva La Bam?- Don’t). And to top it off it was a slow day for job postings. I didn’t bother making myself stuff for breakfast or lunch. Slice of cheese? Yes. Some Planters nuts? Sure. Spoonful of frosting? Why not. Dinner time rolled around and I was pouting. J would not be home and I would eat some more random stuff from my fridge that did not go well together in my tummy.

But no! Who says I can’t make myself a good meal? After all, I did most of the work yesterday. I ripped my roots out of the couch and made my pork tenderloin- first seared and then baked. I rendered the fat from the pan that I had seared it in and cooked some green beans to go with my real meal. I let the tenderloin sit for ten minutes while I cleaned up the dishes and then I plated my dinner for one. I even sat at the table with OJ in a wine glass- I am very classy like that. The dinner was delicious, if I may say so myself. I was glad that I didn’t let the dinner slip me by, and I felt bad for J for missing it. He can have the leftovers though. And if this whole finding a job thing doesn’t work, I can stick a sign outside that will say, “Need Work- Will Cook.”

~

I would like to take a brief moment to thank my friends and family who read this silly, little thing. I am glad that some of you are enjoying my Miami experience, even if I am not (so far). It warms my heart, but then again, that could also be this unbearable heat… Anyways, I love you and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment