Monday, June 10, 2013

Lessons for Little Me

I wrote this list in a notebook a little less than a year ago and I've added ideas here and there.  I was just thinking of what I had learned thus far from life and what I could have benefited from knowing when I was younger.  I figured I'd share it on my blog because -hey- why not?

Lessons for Little Me 
(in no particular order)

Look at that dubious expression.  I still make that face.  And I'm still not sure about my baby brother...

  1. You are undefinable in genres, styles, and interests.  Don't feel like you cannot like something even if it doesn't fit your "code" as long as you enjoy it.
  2. Get over your fear of missing out.  You are a homebody prone to spurts of wanderlust and adventure.  If you don't enjoy parties, don't go.  If you don't like certain people, excuse yourself if you can.  And do what you like.
  3. Friends come, friends go, some stay.  Of all the people that are in your life, only you are constant.  Be good to you, be true to you.
  4. Everything in moderation.
  5. Everything is relative.
  6. Don't expect others to care as deeply as you do.
  7. Don't stop searching for your life soul-mates.  These are the people who you can let your guard down with, the ones you can be honest with, the ones who will not judge you or your quirks.
  8. Always be kind to the nerds.  You know you are a nerd and you always root for the underdog, but don't be too kind, otherwise they sometimes start following you around.
  9. You have a voice, use it.
  10. You have a vote, use it.
  11. You can be a walking contradiction, it's okay.  Love fashion and hate the industry.  Give advice and throw the rules out when it pertains to you.  And it is okay to wear yoga pants to Whole Foods if you feel like it.  
  12. Your gut is always right.  You are still paying for decisions made that you over-analyzed and talked yourself into.
  13. Take more risks.  Leave home.  Make new friends.  Leave that home.  Make another new home.  You will have a different world experience than people who grow roots in one spot.  
  14. Your outsider's observations paired with your intuition will pay off- in characters for future novels.
  15. Write, write, write.
  16. Keep drawing.
  17. Keep reading.
  18. Be more serious about the guitar.
  19. Your crushes and exes are gay or will lose their hair young.  Don't cry so much over them.
  20. The loss of a friend can be worse than a breakup, but there will be more of both, so get used to it.
  21. You can be whoever you want to be.
  22. You will become more introverted, but it will be because you realized you were trying too hard to be accepted by people you don't really like one bit.
  23. Some adults are as full of it as teenagers.  You will be disappointed by your role models.
  24. Keep your child-like joy and silliness.  It will even out that mature, responsible, boring temperament.  
  25. Don't work so hard that you burn yourself out.  Hard work will pay off for you, though.
  26. Take French.  Yes, Spanish is the more practical language, but you'll suck at Spanish, hate it, and you'll always wish you could speak French.
  27. The most painful events are the lessons you really needed to learn.
  28. Find a great doctor, veterinarian, dentist, mechanic, hairstylist, library, etc... these are gems.  They are hard to find but it will be well worth the search.
  29. You will make mistakes and they might be costly and embarrassing, but the things you will regret are the things you do not do or do not have the courage to say.
  30. Sometimes it is fun not knowing where you will go or end up.  Enjoy the ride.
More to learn.  More growing to do.

I'm so glad that I've challenged myself to live a more global life.  I could do even better, but I know that I've expanded my perspective on this world and the people in it.  I enjoy learning new things and every day my world gets a little smaller.  I don't think that is a bad thing.  Right now I have connections to China, to Europe, to Africa, to Latin America, and beyond.  I know people from all walks of life and all philosophies.  I am excited to see how my world will change, how I will grow, and what I will learn in my new city!

No comments:

Post a Comment