Monday, November 15, 2010

Homework! Oh, Homework!

In middle school Language Arts we were asked to recite a poem by memory. I chose “Homework! Oh, Homework!” by Jack Prelutsky. I still remember it word for word to this day (more than the poem “Who Goes with Fergus?” by Yeats that I had to memorize for a college English course, it just wasn’t as catchy…). In case you aren’t familiar with the artistry that is children’s poetry, I’ll copy and paste it below:

Homework! Oh, Homework!
by Jack Prelutsky

Homework! Oh, homework!
I hate you! You stink!
I wish I could wash you
away in the sink.
If only a bomb
would explode you to bits.
Homework! Oh, homework!
You're giving me fits.
I'd rather take baths
with a man-eating shark,
or wrestle a lion
alone in the dark,
eat spinach and liver,
pet ten porcupines,
than tackle the homework
my teacher assigns.
Homework! Oh, homework!
You're last on my list.
I simply can't see
why you even exist.
If you just disappeared
it would tickle me pink.
Homework! Oh, homework!
I hate you! You stink!

Anyways, there is a point to this post regarding childhood disdain towards homework. It is this: WHY AM I STILL DOING HOMEWORK?!?

Okay, so I am not doing “traditional” homework, but I feel like everyday there is a task, chore, or item to attend to that sucks as much as doing homework did for the last 18 years. Trying to sort out loan business, having to organize paperwork that piles up, getting the mildew off of the shower walls, doing the dishes three times a day, remembering birthdays, trying to compile recipes, and forwarding e-mails from my soon to be extinct student account (I saved almost all of the e-mails I sent and received for the last three years of college). I should know that life is full of boring, tedious chores and I should just get over it. I guess I’ll be working until I’m dead, if I’m not striving for two college degrees while working three jobs, I’ll be plugging away at little items like grocery shopping and paying the bills.

The only researching that I am enjoying is puppy researching. I am just struggling with being impatient for said future puppy. Here’s hoping I land a job soon so we can take a step towards this happy goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment